Thursday, August 13, 2009

Terence- Wisdom from the past (185-158 BC)Poet/playwright

This was inked about 2000 years ago. You tell me that we are MORE advanced/civilized now, than we were then? After 2000+ years you'd think that every human being would know this stuff.

I am a man, and whatever concerns humanity is of interest to me.

I am a man: I hold that nothing human is alien to me.

I bid him look into the lives of men as though into a mirror, and from others to take an example for himself.

Nothing is said that has not been said before.

So many men so many questions.
(Quot Homines Tot Sententiae)

That is true wisdom, to know how to alter one's mind when occasion demands it.

Their silence is sufficient praise.

There is a demand in these days for men who can make wrong appear right.

There is nothing so easy but that it becomes difficult when you do it reluctantly.

Too much liberty corrupts us all.

What is done let us leave alone.

Charity begins at home.

Moderation in all things.

I have everything, yet have nothing; and although I possess nothing, still of nothing am I in want.

In fact, nothing is said that has not been said before.

Fortune helps the brave.

No comments:

Post a Comment